Learn about the features that make the best breastfeeding chair. Learn about glider chairs, Kingsington breastfeeding chairs and others.
The Best Breastfeeding Chairs
Most nursing mothers have more on their minds than trying to be comfortable, but there is no reason that a mother cannot have a chair that makes breastfeeding as comfy as possible. Breastfeeding chairs take many shapes, and which is the best for each mother is largely a matter of personal preference. Below are some things to keep in mind when looking for the best breastfeeding chair for you.
Choosing a Breastfeeding Chair
There are several factors to consider when choosing a breastfeeding chair.
- Comfort – For many, the most important consideration when choosing a breastfeeding chair is the comfort. Some chairs are going to be more accommodating to the needs of a nursing mother than others. As mentioned above, which type of chair is most comfortable is largely a matter of taste.
- Style – The style of the nursing chair is important to many moms, because they want to find a chair that will look good with the rest of the furniture and décor in the nursery.
- Practicality – How practical a certain chair is should certainly be another consideration. For example, the fabric should be stain resistant.
Some nursing chairs were designed specifically for use by nursing mothers. Others, such as the glider chair, mentioned below, have long been a staple in nurseries and work well for many nursing mothers.
Kinsington Breastfeeding Chair
This is, perhaps, the most well-known chair that was designed with nursing mothers in mind. The creation of Dr. Lynn Jones, this chair has many features that make it a good pick for use while breastfeeding.
- Low Seat – This allows the mother’s fee to touch the floor, which makes adjusting position much easier.
- Lumbar support – This inflatable lumbar support can provide much needed support to the lower back.
- Extra wide seat – This provides the opportunity for visits from the other children while mom is nursing the baby.
Also, the Kinsington breastfeeding chair comes in a wide variety of fabrics, so you will easily be able to match the chair to suit the rest of your nursery.
Most glider chairs also feature a seat that is a bit lower than average. Also, the rocking motion is soothing to both mother and baby. Some gliders come with a matching ottoman that allow mom to put her feet up while nursing.
Like the Kinsington chair, gliders are available in a variety of colors.
One major difference between the two chairs is that the Kingsington does not have arms, but most gliders do. Some nursing mothers prefer a chair with arms while others prefer the extra room that armless chairs provide.
Visit local baby supply and furniture stores to try out a few different styles of breastfeeding chairs. Some, such as the Kingsington breastfeeding chair, may be difficult to find in a retail store, but can easily be ordered online.